About Me

My photo
I read somewhere: "The hardest challenge is to be yourself in a world where everyone is trying to make you somebedy else" (E.E.Cummings). This is just such a true statement for me. I tried to fit in, and felt out of place. With the passing years, having experienced lots of unpleasentness I have realized that it is impossible to be happy while trying to satisfy everybody and follow the conventions that don't really agree with me or do not fit in my life. Finding myself still...

Sunday 20 January 2013

The Mission (film 1986)/ Robert De Niro

I just re-visited one of my favourite films - The Mission. It is such a moving story. It is based on real events that occurred in South America in 1750 after the Treaty of Madrid (1750) - in which it was agreed that some lands that belonged to Spain were to be given to Portugal. Jesuits (who set up missions in that territory) and their missions were under the protection of Spain till then, however Portugese (who were to take over the territory) being very much in favour of slavery wanted the Jesuits out (to be able to rule, meaning abuse and enslave, the Indians). As Jesuits refused to abandon the Missions, they were slaughtered together with the Indians, some of them fought against the Portugese (and were killed of course). The moments of fight and the slaughter at the end of the film always make me cry. The  beautiful music of Ennio Morriccone is very strongly emphasizing the sadness, and contrasts with the brutality of the act of murder. The feeling of injustice is overwhelming.

I remember the first time when I saw this film in the cinema, I was only a teenager, and I cried profusely, not being able to forget the film for many days afterwards.
My favourite character in the story is Rodrigo Mendoza - former mercenary, Indian-hunter, slave-trader, murderer of his own brother, who, with the spiritual guidance of the Jesuits, repented and imposed on himself a severe punishment by painfull dragging/carrying a huge pack of metal armour through a river, through a jungle and up the mountains to an Indian village, which was in fact the most remote mission. The package must have represtented the heaviness of his sins. As he reached the most remote Indian/Jesuit establishment, the Indians cut off the rope around his chest (at which end was the heavy package with armour) setting him free from his burden. He was forgiven. He cried like a baby from happiness and relief. In my opinion this was the most beautiful scene in the whole film.
He became a real friend of the Indians, and later on was accepted and ordained as a Jesuit. In the end, he died fighting for the mission, againt the Portugese.
Rodrigo was played by Robert De Niro. To me, De Niro is  a wonderful actor. 'Taxi Driver', 'The Deer Hunter', 'Once upon a time in America', 'Sleepers' to name just a few of his really good films. I cannot stand him, however, in those idiotic comedies of late 90's and recent ones like: 'Meet the Parents', 'Meet the Fockers', 'Analyze This' and so on (bleeee, just no). But that is just my personal opinion.
I am sure I will watch 'The Mission' again and again, as I do with films that I really like.

A quote from the end of the film:
(Altamirano in his report to the Pope) "So your Holiness, now your priests are dead, and I am left alive. But in truth it is I who am dead, and they who live. For as always, your Holiness, the spirit of the dead will survive in the memory of the living."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment