About Me

My photo
I read somewhere: "The hardest challenge is to be yourself in a world where everyone is trying to make you somebedy else" (E.E.Cummings). This is just such a true statement for me. I tried to fit in, and felt out of place. With the passing years, having experienced lots of unpleasentness I have realized that it is impossible to be happy while trying to satisfy everybody and follow the conventions that don't really agree with me or do not fit in my life. Finding myself still...

Monday 25 March 2013

The Essential Writings - Mahatma Gandhi



 
Everybody knows who Mahatma Gandhi was.  Around the world he touched hearts of , and inspired, a lot of people, promoted the movement of freedom, civil rights, non-violence and helped in leading India to its independence through peaceful means.  I have seen the film "Gandhi" of course, and even visited his little museum  in Mumbai, during my very brief stay in India years ago. But I have never read anything by him nor engaged in his thoughts till now. At the moment I am reading "The Essential Writings" which is basically a collection of his letters, articles and fragments of  books. It is an interesting but not easy read. It does not read like a novel and therefore it is taking me ages to go through - reading other books along the way.
 
Quotes from the introduction :
"Consequently for him the truth-seeker should be open to the insights of all traditions, and should view all with benign tolerance. For him, true religion was not about theology, the construction of belief systems, but about morality, the practical business of following after truth in daily life and interactions."
"In particular, Gandhi, drawing on Hindu tradition, felt that the non-attachement involved in sexual restraint would help the individual develop his or her spiritual vision and power as well as the capacity for public service."
"As in his view all people are interconnected, so an individual's life must always be conducted in such a way as to enhance the lives of others: in particular this means simplicity rather than over-consumption at the expense of others, charitable service rather than personal self-regard ..."
"Serious engagement with his life and thought, however, is a way to contemplate some of the profoundest problems humans face in their lives as individuals and as communities, and to recognize that there are resources on which men and women can draw to help them fashion modes of resolving conflicts with enhance rather than threaten to destroy the human race."
 
Quotes from the Ghandi's writings:
"The more I reflect and look back on the past, the more vividly do I feel my limitations."
"...what is possible for one is possible for all,..."
"There are some things which are known only to oneself and one's Maker."
"But I worship God as Truth only. I have not yet found him, but I am seeking after him."
"Often in my progress I have had faint glimpse of the Absolute Truth, God, and daily the conviction is growing upon me that He alone is real and all else is unreal."
"I am a humble seeker after truth."
"I want to live at peace with both friend and foe."
"One step enough for me."
"...I greatly value people who abuse me...(...) I like such critics a thousand times better than those who worship me, applaud me, but at the same time commit murders and disregards what I say."
"He who eats without labour eats sin, is verily a thief."
"A man cannot become free from attachments by making a show of being so."
"Tolstoy gives a simple answer to those Indians who appear impatient to drive the whites our of India. We are our own slaves, not of the British. This should be engraved in our minds. The whites cannot remain if we do not want them."
"The more I observe, the greater is the dissatisfaction with the modern life. I see nothing good in it. Men are good. But they are poor victims making themselves miserable under the false belief that they are doing good."
"Optimism indicates faith..."
 
Still reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment