About Me

My photo
I read somewhere: "The hardest challenge is to be yourself in a world where everyone is trying to make you somebedy else" (E.E.Cummings). This is just such a true statement for me. I tried to fit in, and felt out of place. With the passing years, having experienced lots of unpleasentness I have realized that it is impossible to be happy while trying to satisfy everybody and follow the conventions that don't really agree with me or do not fit in my life. Finding myself still...

Monday 8 April 2013

The Winter Ghosts ( Kate Mosse) / Labyrinth (TV miniseries 2012)

During Easter, I saw 'Labyrinth' TV miniseries based on Kate Mosse's book by the same title. What an incredible tale! I was really engrossed in it, and after watching the first part I could not wait for the next day to come to see the rest and the end of the story. It contains:  two parallel stories of two women (somehow connected even though there are 800 years between them), mystery, murders, search for Holy Grail, real history of the massacre of Cathars in France, good and evil sisters, unfaithful husband lost in his beautiful wife's evil sister arms, betrayal, mass murder, inquisition, labyrinth and sacred books...  All that! I was loving everything in it. Stunning English actresses: Vanessa Kirby and Jessica Brown Findley (as main characters), also a beautiful Irish actress Katie McGrath (evil sister). And Tom Felton looking so different here (than in 'Harry Potter' - Draco Malfoy).
 
Anyway, having watched the 'Labyrinth' I felt encouraged to read something by Kate Mosse, to see her style and see what else is there. I checked my Kindle books collection first and found two books in there: 'The Cave' and 'The Winter Ghosts'. As I found out 'The Cave' is really a shorter version of the story of 'The Winter Ghosts', I opted for the latter to be my taster book of Kate Mosse's style.
 
Even though I chose the longer version of the two, it was still a quick read. Read it within a few hours on the coach on my way to London. Set mostly in France in  20s and 30s of the 20th century, after the World War I. Pretty much a predictable story of ghosts - of  medieval Cathar people trapped in a sealed cave (which was at first their hiding place from their persecutors then became their tomb). Again, the book touches the subject of persecutions  and massacres of Cathars in the Medieval Ages. Slow moving story and not nearly as impressive as the one in 'Labyrinth'. Looking at the comments on Amazon, I realised that this is not the best of K.Mosse's books in many people's opinion. Therefore, I decided  not to give up on her. Remembering how charmed I was by her 'Labyrinth' tale I will book in the library some other book by her. I am hoping to be no less than immersed and 'bewitched' by the next book. Is it too much too to  ask after seeing the 'Labyrinth'?

No comments:

Post a Comment